Living history from the Victorian Era

The house is one of a small group of Second Empire style homes located in the Washington Street Historical District.

The Gordon-Roberts House was built in 1867 by Josiah Hance Gordon, a prominent attorney in Cumberland. Mr.Gordon had moved to the Cumberland area in 1842, when he commenced to study law at the firm of McKaig and McKaig.

Learn More >
The house is one of a small group of Second Empire style homes located in the Washington Street Historical District. Second Empire architecture is characterized by the mansard roof. The house is constructed of handmade bricks laid in American Common Bond and is three stories high and five bays wide.

Learn More >
The Allegany County Historical Society was founded in 1937, following the Cumberland Sesquicentennial Celebration. In 1954 the Society purchased an 1867 house at 218 Washington Street to use for the Society headquarters.

Learn More >